The New Mexico Green Amendment bill is on the move!
Maya van Rossum speaks on the Richard Eeds Show (2021-01-28) on what to expect. Listen to the interview here.
Pursuing a Green Amendment in New Mexico
- This “Why We Need a Green Amendment” handout helps make the case for pursuing a Green Amendment in New Mexico. Use it as a resource to help inform and engage others.
- Answers to some of your pressing questions can be found on our FAQ.
- Use these top talking points as a starting place for educating others.
- What to understand more? Here are responses to some Additional FAQs.
An Emmy Nominated Show
Here’s The Story, an Emmy nominated show that premiered in 2011 and is produced by acclaimed journalist Steve Rogers, is now featuring a two part show featuring the Green Amendment movement. The show joins Maya as she explores the history of the Green Amendment movement and meets with environmental, political and legal leaders key to the movements past, present and future. Among those interviewed is NJ Governor Phil Murphy, PA Senator Franklin Kury who originally conceived of the idea for PA, and the chief justice who wrote the iconic opinion that helped launch the movement.
You can watch the show, see Facebook live chats with some of the key players, and see the full interviews that were conducted as part of the show here: Here’s the Story: The Green Amendment.
New Mexico: A Resource or Sacrifice State? Recording now available
A webinar hosted by Indivisible Nob Hill and Green Amendments For The Generations to discuss NM’s most pressing environmental issues and how a Green Amendment could help provide a solution.
- Nuclear issues in New Mexico, in particular waste storage plans in Lea County by Holtec International, presented by Leona Morgan and Eileen Shaughnessy
- Health impacts of methane pollution, presented by Mario Atencio
- A Green Amendment as a solution, presented by Green Amendments For the Generations founder Maya van Rossum.
Watch the recording of this Zoominar – use the password: 5L@Zv5=$ to access.
A Letter from Maya K. van Rossum: Racial Justice Demands Constitutional “Green Amendments”
Support Green Amendments For the Generations!
Learn More Below
Factsheets and Materials
Understanding and Implementing a Green Amendment in New Mexico
- New Mexico Green Amendment Talking Points
- NM Green Amendment FAQs
- NM Green Amendment Additional FAQs
- Letter to Senator Cervantes 3.13.21
- Understanding the Importance and Value of Trustee Language in the Proposed NM Green Amendment
- Sanders v Reed, the Case That Spoke to Article XX Section 21, What Does It Say? How Does It Inform Our Efforts to Advance a NM Green Amendment?
- Comparing New Mexico Proposals on Civil Rights, Public Right of Action, and Environmental Rights
- Frequently Asked Questions about the New Mexico Green Amendment
- Why we need a New Mexico Green Amendment Quick Sheet
- New Mexico Printable Green Amendment Petition:
- New Mexico Green Amendment Petition QR code
- Reflections on Stories from New Mexico: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
- Amending the NM Constitution
The Green Amendment Concept
- The Green Amendment, Securing Our Rights to a Healthy Environment—The Book
- What is a Green Amendment
- Green Amendment Frequently Asked Questions & Their Answers
- Demanding and Defending Your Rights to Clean Air, Clean Water, & a Healthy Environment
- How To Implement & Apply a Green Amendment
- Protections Offered with Trust Language in a Green Amendment
- Using Green Amendments to Strengthen Environmental Justice
- Green Amendment Checklist: Essential Elements of an Effective Environmental Rights Amendment
- Benefits of a Constitutional Provision Protecting Environmental Rights
- Green Amendments: Giving Constitutional Power to Environmental Justice
- Guide of Decisions Using PA Green Amendment Since Dec 2013 Revival
- Green Amendments, Properly Placed and Written, Are A Restraint On Governmental Authority - Article By Team of Attorneys that Successfully Argued PA Case
- The Green Amendment: An Idea Whose Time It Has Always Been, by Gerald J. Williams, Esq.
Webinars & Video Content
- The Green Amendment: New Mexico
- Radio Show: Maya K. Van Rossum on the Richard Eeds Show, KTRC Santa Fe
- New Mexico: A Resource or Sacrifice State - use the password: 5L@Zv5=$ to access.
- Facebook Live with Senator Sedillo Lopez
- Free the Bills Press Conference
- Legislative Briefing: 50th Anniversary of PA's Green Amendment
- The Impact of Pennsylvania Green Amendments on Decisionmaking in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania's Environmental Rights Amendment in Practice
- More video content available on Youtube
- Watch & Listen: press, podcast, & media content
Resources for Teachers/Educators
- Green Amendment Teacher Guide (Print | Screen)
- Student Guide and more available
- Virtual Canoe Race - Online educational adventure game that teaches Geography, History, and Science in a trivia contest format
- Article: How to Talk to Your Kids About Climate Change — & Why You Have To
Se puede explorar nuestras materiales aqui
Necesitamos una Enmienda Verde por Nuevo Mexico para mejorar nuestra ambiente
- ¿Que es un Enmienda Verde?
- Exigiendo y defendiendo tu derecho a agua limpia, aire limpio, y un ambiente saludable
- Enmienda Verde lista de control
- Como implementar y aplicar una enmienda verde
- Protecciones ofrecidas incorporando el lenguaje de un fideicomiso en la Enmienda Verde de un Estado
- Haciendo que la justicia ambiental sea una obligación real del gobierno
- Beneficios de una provisión constitucional protegiendo los derechos ambientales
- ¿Por que necesitamos una Enmienda Verde de Nuevo Mexico?
- Petición Imprimible de la Enmienda Verde de Neuvo Mexico
How Green Amendments Are Helping In PA & MT
- Robinson Twp, Delaware Riverkeeper Network, et. al. v. Commonwealth: pro-fracking law defeated as unconstitutional.
- PEDF v. Commonwealth: misappropriation of environmental funds secured through fracking leases on public lands a constitutional concern.
- Delaware Riverkeeper Network v. PADEP: failure of state to act to address decades of high level site contamination is a constitutional concern.
- Marple Township Commissioners rely on Article 1 Section 27: reject damaging development that would have devastated treasured woodland, the Don Guanella Woods.
- Center Coalfield Justice v. PADEP: longwall coal mining permit revision unlawful as constitutional violation.
- Friends of Lackawanna v. PADEP: landfill renewal permit ordered modified to address historic groundwater contamination.
- PA Attorney General empanels Grand Jury to investigate systemic failures of government regards to the environmental and community impacts fracking.
- PA's Attorney General is routinely relying on the PA Green Amendment to help advance environmental protection.
- PA Gov Wolf Vetoes law that prohibited communities from instituting plastic ban protections.
- Transource Pennsylvania Transmission Line Before Pennsylvania PUC: PUC Administrative Law Judge recommends denial of powerline approval.
- MEIC v. Montana DEQ: industrial gold mining permit rescinded for failure to consider and protect natural resources.
- Cape France Enterprises v. Estate of Peed: court rejected ordering specific performance of a drilling contract that could have contaminated groundwater supply.
- Park Cty Envtl Council & Greater Yellowstone Coalition v. MT DEQ & Lucky Minerals: gold mining exploration license vacated and state law deemed unconstitutional for exempting activities from essential environmental reviews.
- Robinson Township, Delaware Riverkeeper Network, et al v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania., Dec. 19, 2013 – PA Sup Ct Plurality Opinion
- Montana Environmental Info Ctr V. Dept of Envtl Quality, 1999 -- MT Sup Ct. Opinion
- PEDF v. Commonwealth, June 20, 2017 -- PA Sup Ct Opinion
- Robinson Township, Delaware Riverkeeper Network, et al v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania., Sept 28, 2016 -- PA Sup Ct Opinion
- Park County Envtl Comm'n & Yellowstone Coalition v. MT DEQ & Lucky Minerals, Dec. 8, 2020 -- MT Sup Ct Opinion